Request a Brochure

01243 827619 Aldersmead Direct Line

How To Pay For Care Home Fees?

When moving into a care home, ensuring you have all the information you need to know about paying for your care home fees is essential. Seeking professional advice is always advisable, but we hope you will find the following information, which covers state-funding eligibility and other financial assistance options, helpful and useful.

State-Funded Care

If you meet certain key eligibility criteria, you may be entitled to full or partial financial assistance.

Qualifying for Financial Assistance from Your Local Authority

If the total value of your capital is less than the upper £23,250 threshold, your local authority should provide you with some financial support towards your care home fees.

If your capital is below £14,250, you will be eligible for the maximum level of support. You will, however, still also contribute your income minus £23.90 a week, which you may retain to cover any personal expenses.

If you have capital anywhere between the lower and upper thresholds, you will be required to pay a tariff of £1 each week for every £250 between £14,250 and £23,250.

Care Home Choices

Even if your care home place is entirely state-funded, you will still be able to choose the right care home for you, providing it complies with the terms and conditions of your local authority, meets your specific needs and does not cost more than your authority would otherwise pay for someone with the same care needs that you require.

Financial Effects of a Partner Needing Care

Any property occupied by a partner will be disregarded, with only 50% of private pensions and joint savings taken into consideration. If you want to fast-track the route of securing financial assistance, setting up separate accounts will simplify the process and ensure care costs will be taken from the account of the partner requiring care.

Self-Funding Care

If your capital and assets exceed £23,250, you will likely be required to pay for the costs of your own care. If you are not entitled to funding from your local authority, you may still be entitled to another form of financial assistance.

Covering Costs During the Process of Selling a Property

If, excluding your property, your capital is below £23,250, your local authority will assist with the costs of your care within the first twelve weeks. If your property takes longer than this twelve-week period to sell, all financial assistance provided after this time will be charged and recovered from the proceeds from the eventual sale.

Non-Means-Tested Options

Attendance Allowance is a non-taxable and non-means-tested allowance paid to those self-funding their care. For individuals requiring day or night care, this is paid at £53.00 each week, rising to £79.15 each week for individuals requiring care during the day and night.

If you also receive nursing care, you might be eligible for NHS Funded Nursing Care. In these cases, £109.79 each week will be paid directly by the NHS to your care home, contributing to the cost of your care. If your care needs are mostly health-based, full funding might be provided by your local Primary Care Trust.

While organising paying for care home fees can sometimes feel overwhelming, it is important to remember that you do have options, and seeking professional advice is recommended to ensure you understand the choices available to you.

© 2022 Aldersmead care home, all rights reserved. | Site by Atelier Studios, SEO in Southampton.